Friday, September 17, 2004

I'm lost

The eminently readable and logical Patterico has said he is against hearings on the CBS/Rathergate issue.

He says that he is resistant to government oversight of the media. Well, I agree with him on that.

What I don't understand is why hearings on events that have transpired would necessarily lead to government oversight.

Seems to this rather pedestrian mind that a hearing is precisely what is needed!

How else to we monitor the press? As I've said before, in exchange for certain priviledges the press has certain obligations, serving the public interest and good being foremost.

How else can assure ourselves that the public interest is best served by those who benefit from the priviledges they are accorded?


I hope

Wandering Mind

may not be suitable for political vegans